Re: Proposal for new Schema.org extension: Charts

Are the charts in question image files?  And, if so, what sort of
properties "specific to charts" do you have in mind can't be adequately
described by ImageObject [1]?

Having said that, it's possible that there's a case for a "Chart" as a more
specific type of CreativeWork or ImageObject.  Probably the former, as
charts can be displayed using mechanisms aside from images, such as SVG
rendering [2].

Regarding the best way of going about building an extension [3] that might
be included in schema.org (and I speak here only from my observations of
how extensions that have been ended up being moved to the core
schema.orgvocabulary), I would suggest that the first step is to start
building out
the extension in a publicly-accessible location where your collaborators at
GigaOM and others can provide feedback.  This is in part how medical
additions made their way into schema.org [4], although in aggregate the
process of building out medical extensions involved a much greater degree
of collaboration [5] [6].  It has also been the course pursued by the
Learning Resource Metadata Initiative.

You'll also learn a lot by looking at the
"WebSchemas/SchemaDotOrgProposals" page [7], where Dan Brickley states
(more clearly and eloquently:) the points I've made above, and a lot more.

Hope this helps!

[1] http://schema.org/ImageObject
[2] http://datamarket.com/topic/58/canada (example)
[3] http://schema.org/docs/extension.html