Re: Proposal for new Schema.org mark-up: Vacation Rentals

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:30:06 +0000
To: Καραγιαννίδης Γιάννης <giankar@gmail.com>
Cc: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On 8 January 2013 10:45, Καραγιαννίδης Γιάννης <giankar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> We could make use of GoodRelations but I think that it's quite generic and
> not quite relevant with the vacation rental industry. My incentives to
> create a separate schema mark-up are mainly the property types (cottage,
> villa, farmhouse etc) and the amenities that differ many times from hotels.
>
> Do you think that GoodRelations is more suitable for this industry than a
> dedicated schema mark-up for vacation rentals?

Could you give some specific markup examples? As always these things
are a balancing act. We want simple, intuitive markup; but we also
want to scale by having common structures across different domains and
industries. And all topics overlap: we wouldn't want one structure for
'vacation rentals', and an entirely different one for 'non-vacation
rentals', for example. Real estate in general crops up here
periodically too, and the generic geo-areas of schema.org also have
potential for improvement. Examples really help ground these
discussions, particularly when they're drawn from real-world sites and
actual HTML...

cheers,