Re: Schema.org markup on <body> tag

No, it is not valid, both because you need to declare an itemprop before
you can introduce an itemscope that's within the still-open scope of
schema.org/Blog, and because schema.org/LocalBusiness isn't an expected
property of schema.org/Blog.

To make this valid you could leverage any of the properties under which you
could declare an Organization - author, copyrightHolder,  provider,
publisher, etc. - and then nest the Organization information.

E.g.:
<itemprop="author" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/LocalBusiness">
[...]

However, it's unlikely that this is going to be useful or valid for you
(for example, if all you're doing is reviewing a local business that is
otherwise unassociated with your blog.  This is one of the perils of
Googler Jenny Murphy [1]:

"You can add the itemscope attribute to any element on your page that
contains all of the attributes that make up that scope. This includes the
all of the elements on your page), but you may find it technically easier
and more readable to add the itemscope further down your tree to the lowest
parent of all of your microdata."

"For example, in the case of your local address information you may want to
add it to the element, possibly a div, that contains all of the address
info. This will result in a tighter grouping of your microdata and better
match it to what your user's see."

[1] http://bit.ly/12dto8R