Re: LocalBusinessDepartment proposal for schema.org.

From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:12:09 +0200
Cc: James McKinney <james@slashpoundbang.com>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>

On Aug 28, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Thad Guidry wrote:

> 3. Borrow the property for contactPoint from Organization.
>
> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... we should be heavy on the Reuse / Recycle of properties, and less so on the Reduce (promotion), since Reduce causes more confusion than worth, typically.
> .

I agree. In many cases, it is better to expand the domain of an existing property than to define a common super-type.

This is also important since otherwise Web developers are flooded with properties for a given type. See the many properties that

    http://schema.org/WebPage

inherits from

    http://schema.org/CreativeWork

Many of them are conceptually valid yet practically not applicable to many Web pages.

Martin

> --
> -Thad
> Thad on Freebase.com