Re: LocalBusinessDepartment proposal for schema.org.

From: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:54:35 -0500
To: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Cc: James McKinney <james@slashpoundbang.com>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
I agree with Martin and Tom Morris' example in the proposal.  We are also
trying to squeeze too much into a single type, at times.

We still need this idea of a "department" that holds 3 things primarily,
and what webmasters are looking for.

1. A relationship to a parent LocalBusiness. ( Just need a property of a
"department" under LocalBusiness).
    +1 I am fine with Martin's suggestion of a property called
"departmentOf", just like we have "branchOf" that expects a new type called
"LocalBusinessDeparment" (This avoids the squeezing so much into a single
type problem)

2. Borrow the property for openingHours from LocalBusiness.  (I am 50/50 on
the promotion of openingHoursSpecification to a Place.  The dreaded
squeezed type problem again)

3. Borrow the property for contactPoint from Organization.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... we should be heavy on the Reuse / Recycle of
properties, and less so on the Reduce (promotion), since Reduce causes more
confusion than worth, typically.
.
--
-Thad