Re: LocalBusinessDepartment proposal for schema.org.

> On 5 March 2013 17:23, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com
> > wrote:
> > Here's a draft of a proposal for a LocalBusinessDepartment addition to
> > schema.org. It is pretty small. Basic idea is that some larger 'local
> > businesses' have a variety of named departments, which are worth
> > describing as independent entities (e.g. opening hours etc.).
> >

> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/LocalBusinessDepartment
>

> > The suggestion is for one new type, LocalBusinessDepartment, alongside
> > a pair of properties (department / departmentOf) that associate a
> > LocalBusinessDepartment with a LocalBusiness. For simplicity a
> > LocalBusinessDepartment is also considered a LocalBusiness (thus
> > inheriting all applicable properties, our primary goal).
> >
> > I'll try to flesh out with some full markup examples, but I hope this
> > sketch is enough to get some discussion moving.
>
> In light of subsequent discussion, I've updated the wiki page at
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/LocalBusinessDepartment
>

> The proposal is simpler now. We augment "Organization" with the
> ability to point to a department, which is just another Organization
> (or, implicitly, one of its more specific subtypes). We have
> departmentOf as an inverse pointer.
>
> Also we would generalise the 'openingHoursSpecification' property
> (which takes the similarly named OpeningHoursSpecification type as a
> value); instead of only applying to a LocalBusiness, we allow it to
> apply potentially to any Organization.
>
> See
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/LocalBusinessDepartment#Overview
>

> This seems a pretty tiny change that brings a lot of useful
> functionality. Any objections or shall we move ahead with it?
>
> Dan

I would prefer the term "subOrganizationOf" from the ORG vocabulary [1]. Not every division of an organization is a "department". Some are divisions, or offices or bureaus, etc. subOrganizationOf is agnostic to the classification of the organization being described. "departmentOf" labels the object as a "department" which is not the intention.

James

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-org/#org:subOrganizationOf