Re: [SUMMARY] QuantitativeValue / Units of Measure - Proposal

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Martin Hepp <
martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>

> > >   1. XML Schema's durations aren't possible.  A great deal of effort
> went into making a value space and lexical representation that is based on
> ISO time standards (ISO 8601).
> > I still fail to see why ISO 8601 semantics and syntax (akin to XML
> Schema's datatypes) shouldn't be directly allowed.
> >
> Because it is much more difficult to execute queries that check whether a
> certain quantitative criterion is met when the data can be both a point
> value or an interval. For doing this with the current mechanism, you do not
> need more than to expand a point value to an interval with min=max, and
> this will work with any XSD datatype. Doing this with ISO 8601 requires a
> specific mechanism just for date and time datatypes.
> The current approach is a single solution for a wide range of datatypes.

Durations are a concept in themselves.  There is a huge different between
"30 minutes" and "from 5:30-6:00" and so a min/max concept doesn't work.

> > >   2. The codes are odd for common use (e.g. Hour = HUR, instead of 'H'
> or 'h', ANN = year, instead of 'yr' or 'Y', GRM = gram, instead of 'g')
> > >
> > They are a bit cryptic, but non the other hand unique and reliable. For
> instance, there are many variants of miles, and UN/CEFACT has individual
> codes for all of them.
> > Note that you can use the properties of depth, heigh, width, and weight
> for any object of choice in the current form.
> > Not if they expect unit codes that make no sense in other contexts.
>
> I fail to see why, since UN/CEFACT has reliable codes for all SI units.

Practically speaking, I doubt anyone would use UN/CEFACT codes in place of
standard SI unit symbols.

> > As of now, you could use a prefix with unitCode for SI codes.
> >
> > Prefix?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean: prefixed as in CURIE
> or prefixed with some string (e.g. "si.") ?
> >
> I meant a string prefix for a textual value, like uncefact:HUR or si:kg

That looks a awful lot like a CURIE.  Why not make it one?

> > > On the other hand, if I want to describe the weight of an object using
> SI units, I need a way to say that with a different property.  That is, I
> should be able to use the standard prefixing scheme of SI units to say
> "kg", "g" "mg" and so on without having to resort to looking up a strange
> code.

> > UN/CEFACT provides reliable codes for most if not all SI units plus many
> more, commonly needed ones for commerce.
> >
> > Also, many back-end systems readily support UN/CEFACT codes (e.g. PDM
> systems).
> >
> > I am well familiar with UN/CEFACT but I think their codes are a
> non-starter for any kind of scientific or sensor data.  Why would you adopt
> a unit symbol that isn't the actual accepted symbol used within the greater
> scientific community?
>
> We are talking about marking up data on the Web in here, thus the codes
> used are intended mostly for machines, not humans. I think that having
> short, unique three-letter codes from a small alphabet is a much more
> reliable mechanism than using the original SI symbols, that require proper
> Unicode encoding etc.

Humans have to put those codes on the Web, either manually or through
developing software.  As such, it does matter whether the mechanism makes
sense to the consumer.

A three letter code doesn't seem very extensible nor does it yield a syntax
that will make sense to people over time.

Besides, Unicode is already supported by the browser and just about every
other modern tool on the planet, so we shouldn't shy away from using it
properly.  Would we exclude a particular character or glyph from any
natural language?  That is, tell someone they can't use their native
language?  I doubt that.  As such, using the ohm symbol (Ω) when that is
explicitly what we mean seems very natural.

> > > [2] http://www.qudt.org/
> >
> > As said, I am in general fine with
> >
> > - adding a unit property for pure textual unit references
> > - adding a prefix mechanism that allows additional unit codes to be used
> with unitCode
> >
> > Certainly good to know.
> >
> > In my opinion, I don't like the idea of a prefix.  The "unitCode" needs
> to be a URI so it can play well on the Web.
> >

> From a "linked data" perspective, URIs may make sense. From a markup
> perspective, they are long and ugly and as long as you do not have an
> authoritative URI that is dereferenceable, then a URI is as good or bad as
> any unique string. In short, URIs for enumerations are overrated in the
> context of schema.org.

I'm not buying that argument as I see no distinction between the goals of
the Linked Data crowd and those of anyone here attempting to use schema.org.
 I'm just not thinking of Linked Data.  It is just a basic principle of the
Web that we name things with URIs [1].

> > >However, if you expand the range of options in the markup, you make the
> consumption for clients more difficult, so less applications will be able
> top fully >understand the data.
> >
> > Often true but the current properties feel too skewed towards
> UN/CEFACT-based commerce.  It is possible that these two domains may not
> mix well.
> >

> I think you are misunderstanding me. While schema:QuantitativeValue is a
> very generic element, the height/depth/width properties are (currently)
> meant and defined for http://schema.org/Product only.

I understand that but if they are only ever going to be used for
http://schema.org/Product, then they should be be prefixed as
productHeight/productDepth/etc. so that height/depth/width could be used in
a boarder context.

> I fail to see why http://schema.org/QuantitativeValue should be limited
> or biased towards commerce.

In its current state, aligned with UN/CEFACT, it is biased to the way
UN/CEFACT sees the world.  That is not how most handle scientific data.
Could they be forced?  Possible.  I doubt anyone would make the effort and
instead they'd just role their own types.  The result is we'd continue to
lose on interoperability in a broader context.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/

--
--Alex Milowski
considered."