Re: Schema.org Actions - an update and call for review

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 01:52:16PM +0200, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the discussion and contributions - we made a few
> improvements and have just published the initial version of this work
> at schema.org:
>
> * http://schema.org/Action
> * http://schema.org/docs/full.html
> * Machine readable version is included in
> http://schema.org/docs/schema_org_rdfa.html (plus a little RDFa/RDFS
> in each per-term page).

<snip>

> As you can see,
> there is plenty more to do, but we're glad to have achieved this
> milestone as a foundation for richer description of actions. Please
> let us know of any bugs, mistakes or inclarities and we'll do our best
> to keep improving schema.org step by step.

Looks like a great addition!

I do find it odd that, in the markup examples, the original HTML is
reduced to just a comment. Perhaps it's the lack of context for the
examples that is confusing me, but I think it would make sense to retain
the original HTML in the markup examples. One of the general goals of
schema.org is to augment human-readable content with structured markup
to help search engines; in the Action examples, however, we're removing
human-readable content. I believe a simple fix could be to wrap the
original HTML in a <div> and embed the <script> within the scope of that

In other cases, the JSON-LD markup example adds content that doesn't
exist in the original HTML. For example, the example in
http://schema.org/WriteAction adds the "name" property for the article.
This was unexpected, as it doesn't follow the general pattern of
examples only adding structured data assertions to the existing markup.

Now that examples in the official schema.org site use JSON-LD, I would
love to see http://schema.org/docs/gs.html updated with some
instructions for the appropriate use of JSON-LD.

In addition to the JSON-LD examples, are there any plans to incorporate
microdata or RDFa Lite examples for Actions?

My apologies if all of this is already on your roadmap for "plenty more
to do"; I'm just trying to keep schema.org as approachable and easily
adopted as possible. A hearty thanks to everyone for all the work that
has already gone into the Actions effort!

Dan