From: Greg Grossmeier [mailto:greg@creativecommons.org]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 11:21 AM
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
Cc: LRMI
Subject: Move isPartOf to CreativeWork from WebPage?

Hi there,

As more in the educational community begin marking up their content with LRMI / Schema.org we have run into a couple limitations of Schema.org.
[Note: I have cc'd the LRMI community mailing list.]

One oddity is the isPartOf property that lives in the WebPage type (which is a subtype of CreativeWork).

The isPartOf expected type is CollectionPage, which, has two subtypes ImageGallery and VideoGallery.

It appears that, from this, the isPartOf property is limited to use in only galleries of images or videos (but, oddly, don't mix them!).

Would it make sense instead to make isPartOf live on CreativeWork?

Use Case for the change:
In the educational community, there are many times collections of resources (everything from specific courses, to whole curricula, to everything between and beyond) and these resources are not all webpages.
They include other media (eg: presentation files, videos, documents, etc).

Thus, you could imagine a simple use case of a class syllabus that is itself a collection with many resources linked from it (either living at the same webspace or not). For pages under the control of the same entity, modifying the resources to also include the isPartOf -> Collection information is useful to model the syllabus.

It might then be advantageous to include a "hasPart" in CollectionPage type..

 - add hasPart to CollectionPage

Thoughts?

Greg

--
Greg Grossmeier
Education Technology & Policy Coordinator