Re: Semantics of the schema.org data model (for integration with RDFS, OWL, etc.)

From: Christoph LANGE <c.lange@cs.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:21:47 +0100
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: public-vocabs@w3.org
Hi Dan,

sorry for getting back to this so late, but, regarding my question on
how to formalise the semantics of the schema.org data model:

> Interesting. Well, more or less "what you see is what you get". We
> don't have any formal axioms etc., beyond basic type hierarchy. The
> notions of range and domain we use are pretty soft too. If you find
> opportunities for formalization (such as the lowPrice example), it
> would be interesting to see those. But for now, I think it's best to
> treat schema.org's schema as a pretty simple RDF vocabulary. So
> schema.org extensions would also just be treated as  RDF/S or perhaps
> OWL. The schema.org search engines don't claim to do anything with 3rd
> party vocabularies that extend schema.org, but others are always
> welcome to make new uses of the vocabulary.

Thanks for this encouraging feedback – so we will simply do it "our
way", let this list know when we're done, and of course we won't assume
that any search engine relies on such a formal semantics.

BTW I should also thank Gregg for the mail at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2012Aug/0066.html>,
as it made me aware that range/domain in schema.org doesn't have the
RDFS intersection semantics, but a union semantics.

In our approach we will therefore most likely model this using OWL plus
maybe alternatively first-order logic (where it is possibly more
intuitive to write down).

Cheers,

Christoph

http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec, Skype duke4701

→ Building & Exploring Web Based Environments.  Seville, Spain, 27 Jan–
   1 Feb 2013.  Deadline 22 Sep.
http://iaria.org/conferences2013/WEB13.html