RE: new itemscope or not?

I agree with your observation: "So schema.org's property "url" should
only be available for "CreativeWork", not for "Thing" as it is right
now."

OTOH, it would be nice if schema:Thing had a "page" property that was
equivalent to foaf:page.

I don't think that one property should serve both purposes.

BTW, This IETF document from 2002 does a nice job of explaining the
"Classical View" vs. the "Contemporary View" of how URIs, URLs, and URNs
relate:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3305

This updated informal understanding of "URL" helped set up W3C's 2005
httpRange-14 decision that showed how http URIs (no longer called
"URLs") could be used to identify *anything*:

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#httpRange-14

Network-based
> > Software Architectures";
> > 	schema:author <http://viaf.org/viaf/26681119>;
> > 	schema:url
> > <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm>.
> >
> > As a matter of principle, Roy's (HTML) thesis COULD be upgraded to
be
> > self-describing with some hidden markup (either RDFa 1.1 or
> Microdata)
> > and a trivial Apache rewrite (303 redirect) upgrade to
> www.ics.ici.edu
> > to replace the observer URI.
> >
> > OTOH, if somebody decides that schema:url should be treated the same
> > as "itemid" (Microdata), "resource" (RDFa Lite 1.1), "rdf:about"
> > (RDF/XML), etc. then schema:url is a wasted opportunity and we (i.e.
> > the pedantic observers of reality) would need to find a new
> vocabulary
> > term fill this void.
> >
> > Jeff

Bielefeld