Re: new itemscope or not?

Dear Cord -

This is music to my ears. It seems inevitable that more identifiers are going to prove to be critical components of Schema. There is a public entity name ID (ISNI) that would be helpful to differentiate & collocate names; there is a similar identifier in the STM world called the ORCID (which is interoperable with ISNI and in fact may actually really BE an ISNI, as they've been allocated for ORCID); there is a text ID (ISTC) that identifies text independent of format; there is of course the ISBN; there is the ISRC, which identifies recordings; there is the ISAN, which identifies addresses. And there is the DOI, which identifies links themselves.

I've been talking a little with Richard Wallis about the inclusion of identifiers in Schema - there are a couple of models. One of these is to have a separate class of objects called "identifiers"; the other is to have the identifiers as attributes in the schemas themselves. I'm leaning towards the former simply because a thing can have more than one identifier (a book, for example, can have an ISBN and an ISTC; an author can have an ISNI and an ORCID), and a relational model may be more flexible.

But this is still in discussion.

- Laura

Laura Dawson
Product Manager, Identifiers