Re: new itemscope or not?

Dear Cord,

Schema.org  does not provide a validation/correctness mechanism.
According with their documentation property values should follow an
INTENDED TYPE, e.g,  "author" value should be an instance of
http://schema.org/Person
However, if the web master cannot provide a complete   markup, as your
first example , then an "incomplete" markup can be used (your second
example).

It is the responsibility  of the annotation processor to "understand"
the necessary instance i.e., "Shakespeare, William" is the name of a
http://schema.org/Person

As such, the first solution is the better and desirable (I guess you
tested with http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets ), the
second is not the best, but still can be used instead doing nothing.

Use annotations!

Regards,
Adrian

--