From: Jason Douglas <jasondouglas@google.com>
To: Robert Powell <dotcomsuperstar@yahoo.com>
Cc: "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: Markup Spread on Multiple Pages

You can get the best of both worlds by consistently using itemid (microdata) or resource/about (RDFa) to point to the *one* canonical URL for the item (in your case /product-name, I presume).

That way you can repeat information across pages for snippeting purposes (like say the product name in the reviews page), while still clearly indicating that it's the *same* product being described.

-jason

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Robert Powell <dotcomsuperstar@yahoo.com> wrote:
How should you handle snippets spread across multiple pages? For instance, if you have a product website with urls such as:

/product-name
/product-name/reviews
/product-name/reviews/this-blender-is-amazing
/product-name/manufacturers
/browse

Should I tag all the /product-name/* pages with the root product itemscope and simply expand upon nested types such as reviews on that specific page? If I have a reviews widget on /product-name should I provide snippets for the data within the widget or only markup the reviews page? Is it OK to add markup for the overall review score shown on every product page? Should I also provide snippets on the browse items lists?

I have a feeling the answer to all my questions are yes, markup every page and be sure to provide a "url" property for each schema subject so the search engines know the root subject URL. I just want to confirm it and ensure that marking up all /product-name/* pages with the same root product won't cause the engines to only consider the root URL or something else not desirable.

-Thanks for any feedback