Re: Proposal to add dateExpires to JobPosting

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 08:21:06 -0700
To: Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@nickshanks.com>
Cc: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>, public-vocabs@w3.org
On 26 October 2012 07:57, Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@nickshanks.com> wrote:
> On 24 October 2012 08:53, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
>
>> The upcoming GoodRelations integration will provide generically usable validFrom and validThrough properties...
>
> "validThrough" is a horrible name, it grammatically grates on the ear
> and sounds much too american for professional use. Please consider a
> phrase such as validUntil instead.

Can we avoid ethnic/nationalistic slurs on this mailing list please. I
have it on good authority that many Americans are quite professional
these days.

More seriously: native English speakers have a *massive* privilege
handed to them by history, regardless of which flavour of English we
speak. And it was not always a pretty history that gave us this
advantage. Please let's not argue between US and UK or any other
variant. In general we should try for as neutral and simple u usage of
English as possible, but "too American for professional use" is not an
appropriate argument when we are inviting the entire planet to use
this vocabulary.

cheers,