Re: Accreditation

Yes, exactly.

On Oct 4, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Michael Hopwood <michael@editeur.org<mailto:michael@editeur.org>> wrote:

An award generally has an associated *date* - and an accreditation / certification might need one too, if you want to check if credentials have expired, or are up-to-date.

From: Dawson, Laura [mailto:Laura.Dawson@bowker.com<http://bowker.com/>]
Sent: 04 October 2012 15:27
To: Richard Wallis
Cc: Thad Guidry; W3C Public Vocabulary
Subject: Re: Accreditation

A similar structure could be used for an award - Academy, Pulitzer, Nobel, Tony.

On Oct 4, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@oclc.org<mailto:richard.wallis@oclc.org>> wrote:

+1 for being on to something.

~Richard

On 04/10/2012 15:08, "Thad Guidry" <thadguidry@gmail.com<x-msg://613/thadguidry@gmail.com>> wrote:

Nicholas,

Not all of those you listed would ideally use the term "accredited".

UNESCO is a registering authority.

Licensing is a different term, but that could easily be swapped out with the term "accrediting".

But overall, I think your onto something.  To be able to easily say "this Thing has met or achieved certain criteria."

In Freebase, we developed the metaschema of HasCertification, which you can see here (and hover over the source/target column to see some of the predicate paths):

https://dev.freebase.com/base/fbontology/metaschema/relationship_id/certification?links

The basis of which is to capture the idea of a relationship between an entity and a formal recognition (e.g. of an achievement or of having met certain criteria) that it has been granted by another entity.

Broadly, the Level should be freeform, I agree, and that could sit under Intangible.  I think that Level could even be abstracted to just broadly, Category.  Where my discussion of which Martin commented on and picks up previously in another thread on this list.

Laura Dawson
Product Manager, Identifiers
Bowker
908-219-0082