Re: Schemas [for educational courses]

Thanks for this Phil.

In regard to schema.org/EducationEvent (and relevant Event properties) I've
worked extensively with this in regard to educational courses, and while
some aspects of the Type work for what we would normally call "courses"
most do not.

For time-bound brick-and-mortar courses yes, many Event properties come
into play.  It covers off presenters, but the actual property is
"Performer," for what's that worth.  "duration," "startDate" and endDate"
have obviously applicability, as does "location."  These are the most
useful EducationEvent properties that can be applied to courses, though as
the "performer" property and others of the Type imply, EducationEvent was
clearly framed with things like seminars and conferences, rather than
structured courses of instruction.

For online courses, currently EducationEvent simply doesn't work because of
those time restrictions.  Parsers complain about the lack of a startDate or
endDate, which obviously don't come into play for self-paced instruction.

Conspicuously absent from EducationEvent and any other Type are:

- The responsible, accrediting or sponsoring organization - applicable to
online and brick-and-mortar courses.  If a course is available from the
University of Washington there should be a way of encoding that as well as
the instructor (properties for the organization itself are well-covered by
EducationalOrganization).

- Prerequisites - applicable to online and brick-and-mortar courses, and
very common.  Obviously there would need to be a "course" property to which
this would refer (this is an example of why I think properties of
EducationEvent can be incorporated, but a new type is really required -
that one event would be a prerequisite for another event is a stretch).

- Credits earned, credit type and accrediting organization or body.  From
what I know of educationalAlignment I don't think it's capable of doing the
job here.

- Course material (textbooks, etc.). Obviously LMRI has this well covered.
:)

Regarding course authors, I think this is obviously covered off by "author"
in CreativeWork, and is flexible because it can reference persons and/or
organizations.  A note, in reference to your discussion of presenters,
performers and organizers, Phil, that there are a number of entities that
play a role in courses, and that defining these in the context of a
"course" is required - that is to say, absolutely let's reuse vocabulary
items where they're a good or close match, but use new properties where
they're required.  Including some entities that I've already mentioned,
here are entities that can come into play in regard to an course (which in
most cases can be persons or organizations in each case).
- Author
- Presenter
- Organizer
- Affiliated (or sponsoring, or accrediting) organization
- Publisher

Again, thanks for restarting this conversation Phil!