schema.org/Article has 'genre' property, cannot we use it for this purpose?
I think it's a bad practice to create a new type until it has its own properties
--
Egor
02.05.2012, 06:13, "Olson, Peter" <polson@marvel.com>:

In an attempt to surgically extract all humor from this subject...wouldn't satire be a flag as part of a larger article type? I can maybe reach out - I have some contacts in the comedy world.

- Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: PDEC Research [mailto:lists@personaldataecosystem.org]
Sent: Sun 4/29/2012 8:40 PM
To: Dan Brickley
Cc: public-vocabs@w3.org
Subject: Re: vocab idea: SatiricalArticle

You could just add a parody bit. Then if the whole content is odd, the processor can throw a parody exception.

On Apr 29, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> (disclaimer: thinking out loud)
>
> A smart-enough-to-know-better friend who shall remain nameless just
> re-shared this link, having given it a quick check over (by searching)
> and it looked real enough. At first glance it was Onion-esque but
> wasn't obviously one of theirs, so got re-shared:
>
> http://www.freewoodpost.com/2012/03/13/mitt-romney-i-can-relate-to-black-people-my-ancestors-once-owned-slaves/
>
> The article is completely false, as
> http://www.freewoodpost.com/disclaimer/ indicates. If you view
> source, you see itemtype="http://schema.org/Article" though (and a
> load more metadata, ogp etc).
>
> I was wondering whether an addition such as
> http://schema.org/SatiricalArticle could ever get traction.
>
> My initial conclusion is 'no', ... since most of the obvious
> applications of 'SatiricalArticle' would likely slow the viral spread
> of fake outrageous news around the Web, and so get little support from
> publishers like the above, or
> http://www.landoverbaptist.org/ http://christwire.org/
> http://www.theonion.com/ http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/ etc. But you
> never know, there might be some other incentives (e.g. disclaimers?)
> that could support such an idea.
>
> So I thought I'd float the suggestion. If anyone here happens to know
> such publishers, I'm curious of their perspective. Would a
> machine-readable indicator of 'satire' be interesting to any of them?
> Presumably they get much of their traffic from controversy caused by
> reposting shocking "news". Of course there's always scope for that
> same metadata to be created by third parties, but that's an old old
> story (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-PICS-labels/ etc).
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan

Nothing contained in this e-mail shall (a) be considered a legally binding agreement, amendment or modification of any agreement with Marvel, each of which requires a fully executed agreement to be received by Marvel or (b) be deemed approval of any product, packaging, advertising or promotion material, which may only come from Marvel's Legal Department.

THINK GREEN - SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!