RE: webschema-ISSUE-13 (Describing Real Estate): Schema.org should document how best to describe Real Estate [Feedback on Schema.org]

The situation in real estate is analogous to that in travel. An offer has a
period of validity and other terms. What is being offered is the use of a
facility (hotel room, office space, condominium). What distinguishes a
timeshare from a rental are the terms of use, not the terms of offer. The
terms of use are part of the product or service. The product may refer to
the facility to be used (the hotel room, timeshare suite, etc.). Schema.org
uses product because it is biased toward sales, in which there are no terms
of use, since the sale conveys all rights (of course this is not true for
property sales, which often carry binding covenante).

To fix this, product should be replaced with another term (e.g. item or
facility). However, I do not seriously expect this to happen, so we need to
find another English term that is suggestive of the contracted terms of use.
We have been using "rental" for that purpose. It is probably over specific
in that many people would object to a timeshare being described as a rental
(unless they have taken a course in economics).

The resulting schema would consist of offer, rental and product. Offer
carries the terms of offer, rental the terms of use, and product is the item
to be used.

Jim Rhyne

Thematix Partners