Re: Extensions for stereoscopic 3D images?

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Douglas Crosher <dtc-schema@scieneer.com>wrote:

> Thank you for the link.  The Lytro appears to use an array of small lenses
> to capture a light field, and while there are some
> similarities to stereoscopic images the processing is probably quite
> different and would warrant a separate schema.
>
> If you have a left and right image, or a left to right sweep, then it is a
> relatively small step to extract a left and right pair to
> present a stereoscopic 3D image.  Whereas the processing involved in
> converting the image obtained from a grid of lenses to a
> picture is something quite different.
>
> There may be some similarities.  Stereoscopic images have a 'zero
> disparity' depth that can be varied when presented whereas the
> light field image has a focus depth that can be varied when presented.
>  For some stereoscopic 3D technologies the 'zero disparity'
> depth may well be the depth of sharpest focus, for example as often seen
> in lenticular 3D images.
>
> Here is an example 3D viewer that could benefit from stereoscopic
> information in the schema:
> http://www.schillr.com/schillr3d_firefox.php5  If this software could
> identify the left and right images within the scope of an
> images on a web page then it could reliably present them in a range of
> formats.

Actually, that was my point about Lytro's embedded viewer technology.  The
desktop app and web app both share the same light field image information.
 And hence they can both theoretically generate 3D stereoscopic pairs.  I
just do not know how far along Lytro is with their viewer software
enhancements for 3D stereoscopic pairs, so you might need to check with
them.  Read their specific blog post here:
http://blog.lytro.com/lytro-science/the-science-inside-living-pictures/

[snip]

--
-Thad