Re: For review: Schema.org / Good Relations integration

Hi all:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Jim Rhyne <jrhyne@thematix.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Here's a place to start the discussion on support for rental offers.
>
> "Offer" should be decomposed into several distinct types: sale offer of a product, sale offer of a service, and rental offer. At the moment, "Offer" is a sale offer of a product. We would suggest removing the "itemOffered" property from "Offer" and placing it on "ProductOffer", a subcategory of "Offer". The other subcategories of "Offer" are "RentalOffer" and "ServiceOffer".

There is no need to create additional subclasses of http://schema.org/Offer once the GoodRelations extension has been incorporated, since GoodRelations supports the specification of the business functions than sell, e.g. rental, disposal, service via the new

    businessFunction property,

which is called

   http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#hasBusinessFunction

in the original GoodRelations namespace.

GoodRelations defines an offers as the promise to transfer *some rights* or execute *some services* on the respective products. The default is "sell", but you can either use the predefined functions

http://schema.org/ConstructionInstallation - Business Function: Construction and installation
http://schema.org/Dispose - Business Function: Disposal
http://schema.org/LeaseOut - Business Function: Rental
http://schema.org/Maintain - Business Function: Maintenance
http://schema.org/ProvideService - Business Function: Service
http://schema.org/Repair - Business Function: Repair
http://schema.org/Sell - Business Function: Sell

or you can define non-standard bundles of rights by defining instances (!) of

http://schema.org/License

or

http://schema.org/BusinessFunction

So rental will simply look as follows:

  <link itemprop="businessFunction"
        href="http://schema.org/LeaseOut" />
<!-- other offer properties follow here -->

Or a non-standard license (e.g. for online services) will consist of defining the scope of rights in some central page

<!-- on the terms and conditions page, we define the rights offered on the good -->
<h1 itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/License"
    itemprop="name"
    itemid="http://acme.com/legal/#imagelicense" itemref="licensetext">ACME Image License</h1>

and then pointing to there from the individual offer:

<!-- on the offer page, indicate the scope of rights offered -->
  <link itemprop="businessFunction"
        href="http://acme.com/legal/#imagelicense" />
<!-- other offer properties follow here -->

That's it - you will be all set, both for standard and proprietary business functions and licenses.

One of the good things of adding the expressive GoodRelations model to schema.or is that such many extensions will become unnecessary thanks to the generic, reusable patterns.

Best wishes

Martin Hepp

On May 11, 2012, at 11:50 PM, Thad Guidry wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Jim Rhyne <jrhyne@thematix.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Here's a place to start the discussion on support for rental offers.
>
> "Offer" should be decomposed into several distinct types: sale offer of a product, sale offer of a service, and rental offer. At the moment, "Offer" is a sale offer of a product. We would suggest removing the "itemOffered" property from "Offer" and placing it on "ProductOffer", a subcategory of "Offer". The other subcategories of "Offer" are "RentalOffer" and "ServiceOffer".
>

> +1 for the above.
>
> --
> -Thad
> http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry