Re: Last Call for Comments ... Re: proposal for updates to http://schema.org/Event

On 5 March 2012 09:26, Adrian Giurca <giurca@tu-cottbus.de> wrote:
> I would say Schema.org does not define any required property.  By
> consequence interpreting a missing @location in http://schema.org/Event as
> null is a bit forced.

Event is defined as "An event happening at a certain time at a certain
location.". Ok, referring to a "null" place might not be the best
choice of words, but by definition it *does* have a place even if
@location is missing in the data.

One may define an http://schema.org/Event just by
> using one of properties such as:
>
> @startDate - then if nothing else is known, a processor would say this is a
> continuous event after @startDate

Ok, but then why bother with "Event" at all? If a "Thing" has a
@startDate then a processor can say this is a continuous event after
@startDate etc.

I agree that not requiring properties is the way to go for schema.org
("missing isn't broken"), but also think there's an advantage in using
typed items which have commonly associated properties. On the one hand
it's fairly close to how we as humans describe things, on the other it
simplifies management/processing of the data in the computer.

I just believe tweaking this particular definition to make it a little
more granular (making the space-time dimensions independent :) would
simplify reuse of Event and reduce the potential for confusion.

The location property can still be used to associate the Event with a
Place (or PostalAddress).

Cheers,
Danny.

--