Re: Last Call for Comments ... Re: proposal for updates to http://schema.org/Event

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:50, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> On 24 February 2012 16:39, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>> I've just posted another draft proposal in the W3C wiki,
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/EventSchemaUpdate
>>
>> From the wrapper text there,
>>
>> "The proposal comes from the Google teams working with the existing
>> Event markup, and has been checked by the other schema.org partners
>> prior to publication. See PDF for full details of the proposal."
>>
>> * "Proposes 3 new properties of Event: eventStatus, previousStartDate,
>> previousEndDate to support canceled or rescheduled events.

Research?

I didn't see any links on the EventSchemaUpdate wiki page to real
world examples of existing sites that publish this information (even
in plain text, without any markup/classes etc.)

E.g. what event sites publish an "eventstatus"?

What event sites publish the previous date (or dates) of an event?

(n.b. I've never seen this, curious to see where you've seen this
behavior, and if not, why you think putting it in the schema will
cause sites to publish it - such prescriptive/wishful features are
rarely effective in practice.)

>> * Adds eventCategory to support categorised events.

Why is a special eventCategory property needed?

Why not just re-use the "category" property? (also already exists in
hCalendar/iCalendar).

>> * Supports recurring events by making startDate and endDate repeated.

This is an interesting use of such plurality.  Still, I have to ask
for the research here that's driving the design, e.g. URLs of real
world examples of existing sites that publish repeated events by
publishing each instance (even in plain text, without any
markup/classes etc.).

Alternatively I've seen simple descriptions like "every wednesday at
10am" (e.g. w3.org telcons) - but I agree with leaving out (seemingly)
neverending repeated events (data fidelity typically fails when
repeats occur across politically determined DST changes).

>> * Encourages use of existing 'url' property (of Thing) to link to
>> associated Web pages."

Makes sense and a good re-use of a property used the same way in
hCalendar and iCalendar.

Thanks,

Tantek

--