Re: Audience proposal [and LRMI, and http://schema.org/Audience]

+cc Greg, Zoe, Phil, Stuart ... with whom I've variously been
discussing LRMI integration

On 26 June 2012 17:35, Egor Antonov <elderos@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Hi folks!
> Some of our proposals (Medical/Health, TechArticle, LRMI) and also some of
> our Yandex people have common ideas floating around.
> I mean that currently a publisher cannot explicitly specify target audience
> of his site/page/CreativeWork.
>
> Medical vocabulary proposal contains a type MedicalAudience, which splits
> people of medicine into categories expressed as an enumeration.
>
> LRMI proposal contains intendedEndUserRole property with the same purpose,
> contaning some text (which is also a soft enum).

Looking at this again ... in terms of "what can we do now for
integration, while still moving quickly towards including LRMI 1.0"?

>From LRMI, as you say, http://www.lrmi.net/the-specification

* intendedEndUserRole schema.org/Text The individual or group for
which the work in question was produced. Ex: “student” Ex: “teacher”

Would a minimalistic improvement here be, to allow intendedEndUserRole
to also (as an alternative) point to a thing of type
http://schema.org/Audience ?

This would immediately -for example- permit use of the specific
defined instances of http://schema.org/MedicalAudience we added
earlier this week such as http://schema.org/Clinician ... as well as
other approaches as explored in
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Audience  ... While schema.org might
define a few useful kinds of audience, we won't be able to anticipate
every such type - hopefully various educational standards and others
will get expressed this way and included via URL references.

Would an 'intended end user role' of http://schema.org/Clinician even
make sense in an LRMI context? Should we define similar builtins for
the given examples, i.e. Student and Teacher ? Are there controlled
lists out there somewhere?

How does the general approach sound here, i.e. allowing
intendedEndUserRole to point to an instance of
http://schema.org/Audience? I'm concerned that we find a way to have a
general approach to characterising audiences, but also to move ahead
quickly with LRMI...

cheers,

Dan

ps. for in-depth LRMI background, see videos in
http://www.lrmi.net/metadata-lab-video