Re: MedicalCode

+Cc: Aaron

On 27 June 2012 04:14, Renato Iannella <renato@iannella.it> wrote:

> Some comments related to MedicalCode [1] having codeValue and codingSystem text (only) properties.
>
> Since MedicalCode can be used for linked-data purposes (a key benefit of schema.org), then perhaps we can define two Expected Types for code: MedicalCode and URL.
>
> This will then support the (legacy) ontologies (snomed, ICD etc) but also the more recent ontologies that are adequately (and completely) represented as a single URI, for example [2].

Yes, both styles are important. Over in the example for
http://schema.org/MedicalScholarlyArticle it shows the use of 'itemid'
attribute to give a URI for the code; we probably ought at least to
make sure that shows up in the MedicalCode page too. I'll copy an
excerpt below. If used with RDFa Lite, the equivalent notation would
be to use an 'about' attribute, btw. Does this approach help?

cheers,

Dan

  <link itemprop="audience" href="http://schema.org/Clinician"/>
  <h1><span itemprop="name">New guidelines for metformin and diabetes
mellitus</span></h1>
  We review clinical evidence related to the use of metformin for
  treatment of type-2 diabetes mellitus and provide new clinical guideline
  recommendations.</p>
          itemtype="http://schema.org/MedicalCode"
          itemid="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/D02.078.370.141.450">
      <!-- Note: use of itemid is not mandatory, but recommended when an
           external enumeration is available -->