Re: additionalType property, vs extending Microdata syntax for multiple types

From: Alexander Botero-Lowry <alexbl@google.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:23:21 -0700
To: Egor Antonov <elderos@yandex-team.ru>
Cc: Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com>, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Peter Mika <pmika@yahoo-inc.com>, "jasnell@gmail.com" <jasnell@gmail.com>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>, Ramanathan Guha <guha@google.com>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Egor Antonov <elderos@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> 20.06.2012, 01:05, "Stéphane Corlosquet" <scorlosquet@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Egor Antonov <elderos@yandex-team.ru>
> wrote:
> Well, validators developers will not be very happy with this change.
> However, if it happens, I prefer 'type' name, because 'additionalType'
> implies there are other, non-additional ones.
> I disagree. 'type' would be misleading and imply that all types are set by
> this property, when it is not the case.
> Why not? I don't see any semantic difference. Syntactic - yes.
> Also I don't see any reason, why this
>     <link itemprop="type" content="http://mytype.type">
> must differ from
> It can be some differences while disambiguating property names, but
> schema.org property names are unique.
> When a single type is specified, there is no problem at all.

"The item types must all be types defined in applicable specifications
and must all be defined to use the same vocabulary."

suggests that an @itemtype implies a vocabulary.

the http://mytype.type/ type isn't necessarily a part of the
schema.org vocabulary, so may not define 'additionalType' or 'type.'
Without an @itemtype no vocabulary is implied to exist for the given