Re: (most likely) Version 1.0 of LRMI specification - proposed for inclusion with Schema.org

From: Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:59:09 +0100
To: lrmi@googlegroups.com
CC: Monty Swiryn <mswiryn@gmail.com>, public-vocabs@w3.org
On 15/06/12 20:16, Monty Swiryn wrote:
> One clarification...  I may have misused the reference to "British"
> schools.  However, there is a huge number of international schools
> around the world that follow the IB program.
> The point is does the schema handle non-USA "grades" such as
> "sixth-formers"...

I think so, alignmentType = "educationLevel" targetName="sixth-formers"
would do it, but in an ambiguous sort of wat. It might also be worth
stating the typicalAgeRange (16-18), to avoid misunderstanding between
sixth-form and sixth-grade. Of course if there were a URL for British
educational levels that would help avoid ambiguities, but sorting that
one out is beyond the reach of LRMI.

I'm still interested in generating examples of LRMI/Schema.org in use,
so if you have some pages you could show me I would be happy to think
about how they could be marked-up.

Here are my very brief answers to some of your other questions:

On 17/06/12 04:00, Monty Swiryn wrote:
> Many thanks, Greg, for your helpful answers.  The LRMI FAQs page was
> definitely helpful.
> I think I may still have a case for the inclusion of some additional
> attributes in the LRMI schema, but before I do, I have some additional
> questions.  If you feel that it would make more sense to answer them
> in your FAQs page, that would be perfect. Thanks so much for your
> patience with this.
> Here goes...
> 1. It seems that the' alignmentObject' of the 'educationalAlignment'
> property contains a 'targetUrl' (URL of a node in an established
> educational framework).  Is the URL required?  What if a publisher
> does not have their product correlated with an "established
> educational framework"?
No element is required. Providing a target URL is unambiguous and
machine readable, which a name or description may not be.

> 2. Regarding the 'targetUrl' of the 'AlignmentObject', how does a
> publisher deal with this if they *do* have a product that correlates
> with, say, two dozen individual standards in an educational
> framework?  Do they need to put all those URLs in the property tag?
> What would be the best practice in this case?
If they wanted to provide this information, yes. I can see that hand
coding the information might be problematic, but if it is already known
and, say, in a database, then the only problem is really a
presentational one.

> 3. Can you give us a code snippet of the best syntax for creating a
> tag for 'educationalAlignment' with 'AlignmentObject' with
> 'alignmentType'?
"best" would probably depend on the context of the page in question.
Have you got an example?

> 4. How would you handle a 'Subscription Length' property of 'digital'
> (online) products?
I don't know if schema.org has markup for this, perhaps one of the
commerce-oriented vocabularies might? It is the sort of information that
you could put on the page referred to by the useRightsURL.

> 5. You mentioned that inserting these schema properties in 'meta' tags
> is not necessary, helpful or useful.  What is the best practice, then?
>   Is it to use a 'span' or 'div' style to incorporate the property?
> If so, can you give us an example of the syntax?
yes, span or div would be OK. Quite often there is already an element
already in the html that can be used.

> 6. For a product page, is it best practice to use a particular tag to
> define an association with a property and it's value only once on the
> page?  Or does it improve things to add the same property/value in
> multiple (strategic) places.  If multiple is the way to go, what are
> the best practices in terms of where to locate the duplicate
> properties/values?
Once would be enough. Too early to determine best practice yet, but one
thing to consider is what would Google consider to be likely metadata spam?

> 7. Related to the above question, does it make sense to simply put all
> the schema tags in one group, say at the top of the page?  Or should
> they be spread out and located near the keywords that have the value
> associated with that property?
Create a human-readable web page, then mark-up the relevant text
wherever it is.

> 8. What was the rationale for including the 'typicalAgeRange' property
> included in the LRMI schema?  Couldn't this also be a part of the
> 'about' property or the 'alignmentType' property of the
> 'AlignmentObject' used to describe the 'educationalAlignment'?
Maybe. The rationale was that in earlier drafts the alignment was done
differently and more restrictively so this definitely wouldn't have been
possible then. I think the simplicity of a simple property is enough
advantage not to worry about this.

> I may have more questions after seeing your answers, but this will go
> a long way to getting us LRMI "newbies" up to speed on the schema. I
> apologize if these have been previously answered elsewhere.
> Many thanks again for putting up with all this.  It's important that I
> get up to speed quickly on this as the publishers with whom I work are
> pushing me to give them some answers about how it will affect them and
> how it will be done.
> Cheers,
> Monty

Ubuntu: not so much an operating system as a learning opportunity.