Re: Schema for legal judgements?

From: Michael Below <below@judiz.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:23:21 +0200
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Cc: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@few.vu.nl>, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>, public-vocabs@w3.org
Am Donnerstag, den 31.05.2012, 07:46 -0700 schrieb Dan Brickley:

> However, given the complex and technical nature of the topic (and its
> international aspects) I would prefer that we identify collaboration
> with existing schemas/vocabularies/ontologies than begin a fresh
> effort. I am copying Rinke and Michael here who might have thoughts on
> existing initiatives - around legal XML and the linked govt data
> communities. For related works, see
> http://legalinformatics.wordpress.com/tag/rinke-hoekstra/ and in
> particular http://doc.metalex.eu/ ("This service hosts (almost) all
> Dutch national regulations in CEN MetaLex XML and as RDF Linked
> Data."). I'm particularly concerned to understand better whether a
> single high-level schema might be useful internationally, or whether
> there is too much variation between jurisdictions for this to be be
> feasible.

I had a quick look at the legal case ontology proposed by Hoekstra &
Wyner here:
And an even briefer look at the Metalex description here:
As far as I can see, most of the elements I was thinking of are there.

Hoekstra & Wyner seem to propose their case ontology to stand beside the
existing regulations ontology (Metalex). Metalex doesn't define an
ontology for case law (yet, but a future version may do so). I think
this makes a lot of sense, because case law and regulations are quite
different documents.

As far as I can see relations to legal regulations/codes seem to be
missing from the case law ontology (maybe I have missed them, or maybe
because the ontology is developed using a US example?). Obviously,
relations between cases and regulations need to be defined, at least for
describing cases from the civil law/continental tradition.

I don't know about the description of legal argumentation Hoekstra &
Wyner are attempting, I guess this would be very nice to have (list all
cases arguing in favor of X), but it increases the cataloguing effort

Here's an example for the kind of data I am thinking of:
(A case by the German Federal Court that refers to the relevant field of
law, sections of the German Civil Code and earlier decisions, it has a
number of headnotes for orientation etc.)

Michael Below <below@judiz.de>