Re: currentModel attribute for /Product

On 07/29/2012 02:49 PM, Tom Morris wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Martin Hepp
> <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
> <mailto:martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>> wrote:
>
>     I think there is a misunderstanding here: While it is *desirable*
>     that an HTTP URI returns a representation when tried with a HTTP
>     GET method, the role as a unique identifier *does not break* if
>     the inventor of the URI goes bankrupt and stops serving
>     representations from that URI.
>

> There's definitely a misunderstanding, but I'm not sure where it lies.
>
> If the domain registrant gives up their registration, for whatever
> reason, and the new domain owner starts minting new URIs in the same
> namespace, what implications does that have for the URIs that are now
> invalid (not because they don't resolve, but because they are no
> longer considered valid by the namespace owner).

Tom, the only potential problem is if the new owner reuses an existing
URI to refer to a different product. That's a real edge case, and yeah,
if you do the wrong thing, bad things result.

In the context of this proposal the URI is being used as a UUID. Getting
something back when you dereference it is not essential functionality
for this use case; it's an entirely optional bonus. The owner does not
need to consider them valid or serve anything at that URL - they just
need to not use that URI to indicate a different product.