Re: schema.org extension for datasets

Hi Phil,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:
> Joshua, everyone,
>
> I've just edited the wiki's mapping section to give a more accurate
> reflection of ADMS.

Thanks.  It looks like you have identified many more overlapping terms
than I had listed.

> Not sure what old version you were looking at but the
> table should be OK now.

I believe I was looking at http://vocab.deri.ie/adms, but that page no
longer exists.  I'm looking at http://www.w3.org/ns/adms now, and I
see quite a few terms not listed in the mappings table (conversely,
there are terms you have added to the table which I don't see in the
document).  Your list appears to be a subset of the union of the terms
in the ADMS and RADion [1] specs.

> I've removed completely a section where ADMS terms
> weren't mapped to anything else

It's OK if they don't map to anything else; I wanted to show the whole
vocabulary.

> - I didn't recognise any of those as ever
> having been part of ADMS at all but they must have come from a dark corner
> somewhere that I've long forgotten about. I've also made a couple of
> references to a proposed vocab, RADion, that this schema.org extension seems
> set to make redundant (which is not a bad thing). I've added relevant links
> to the intro paragraph on the wiki.

Perhaps I should show the RADion vocab in the table instead of (all
of) ADMS...?  ADMS and RADion, as described in the specs, appear to
have about the same number of terms, but RADion defines far fewer
terms in its own namespace (over half are from DC Terms).

> It is designed to provide a substrate
> for vocabularies like this that can then subclass/subproperty where
> necessary. Subclassing schema.org makes just as much sense as subclassing
> RADion.
>
> My only caution about dispensing with RADion altogether and using the
> proposed schema.org extension is that ADMS is already being implemented by a
> number of substantial catalogue owners (incl. OASIS and GS1) but it's
> probably early enough in the cycle to handle this without too much pain.

These are good reasons to get the mapping right.

> Actually, ADMS defines very few terms of its own - it's almost all Dublin
> Core except where it gets into esoteric terms designed to describe multiple
> documents wrapped inside Zip archives that, love it or loathe it, is how a
> lot of organisations publish their stuff. Remember that ADMS is not
> specifically about describing data sets, it's about describing vocabularies,
> code lists and standards.

Yes, although there is a bit more overlap than I had gathered from the
old document.  Perhaps we can continue this discussion off-list to
nail down the details.

> Hence I don't think those areas will be of direct
> relevance here and there's no need to clutter up the mailing list with them.
>
> HTH

IH!

Thanks again.

Joshua