RE: Last Call for Comments ... Re: proposal for updates to http://schema.org/Event

Hi Dan
See below some IPTC comments on your thoughts.

What are the next steps in updating the Events class?

Michael

All the intentions of the External Enumerations page sound very familiar to us.
There is only one concern: it should be a goal - also for schema.org and such a guideline for external enumerations - to use language agnostic URIs. URIs like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States or http://www.fao.org/countryprofiles/index.asp?lang=en&iso3=USA provide details about the entity only in a specific language, to get the same information in e.g. French or Spanish a different URI is required.

We appreciate to see that the WikiData project is aware of that and has defined that their URIs should not be based on any language [http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/URI_scheme#Issues_for_consideration]. And as http header may hold accepted languages there are technical means to select a language for the details of an entity.

> > 1.2) on eventCategory: IPTC supports adding this property.
> >
> > Further EventsML has a more generic property named “subject” to which
> > one may apply a wide range of categories and therefore we propose to
> > consider to adopt an additional “about” property as it already exists
> > for the CreativeWork class with the same semantics.  (Example: Why not
> > to apply a horse category to the Ascot event? Will help finding it.)
>
> Sounds useful. We also btw have schema:keywords for more classically
> textual description of topics.
>
> At the moment 'about'  (and 'keywords') is only for CreativeWork, should we
> attach it to Event also?

The IPTC would highly appreciate that 'about' is added to the Event class. By the experience from many news providers there are many - but not all - events that are about a topic or a person or location or ...

> > 1.3) on startDate and endDate: the EventsML-G2 structure for recurring
> > events follows the iCalendar design -
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545 – which is quite sophisticated, we
> > know. However allowing more than one startDate and endDate might not
> > work either. There is nothing which explicitly pairs a startDate with
> > an endDate, using only the sequence of properties for pairing is too open
> to simple syntax errors.
> This seems to be the central remaining problem: the start/end pairing isn't
> enough, since sequence is meaningless is many environments.

We propose this: use the Time Interval annotation of ISO 8601 - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Time_intervals
This appears to be extremely flexible and fits into a single string = a single class property, could be named e.g. startAndEndDate or startEndDate.

> > 1.4) In addition we propose from the set of the core event properties
> > of
> > EventsML-G2 to add these two properties:
> > 1.4.1) organizer: Person or Organization. The party organizing the event.
> > 1.4.2) registration: Text. The how and when to register for the event.
> > Could also include information about the costs and more.
> >
> > IPTC adds: a complementary class for e.g. ordering tickets could be
> > added too.
>
> I'll add these proposals to the Wiki...

May I ask where I can find this addition?

> Thanks for all this, and for the Sports analysis below (which I'll look at
> separately).

Did you post your Sports analysis?