Re: Audience proposal [and LRMI, and http://schema.org/Audience]

From: Stuart Sutton <stuartasutton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:41:45 -0700
To: lrmi@googlegroups.com
Cc: Liddy Nevile <liddy@sunriseresearch.org>, Egor Antonov <elderos@yandex-team.ru>, Greg Grossmeier <greg@creativecommons.org>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>, LRMI TWG <lrmi-twg@googlegroups.com>
Yes, Dan, there are collections that include use of 'mediator'.  I would
also add to Liddy's comment that when the 'audience' property [1] was added
to the DCMI dcterms namespace in 2001 and 'mediator' [2] added as a
subproperty of 'audience', a third property called 'beneficiary' was also
entertained by DCMI Usage Board but not included in the namespace.
'Beneficiary' _was_ added to the DC-based GEM schema used by the Gateway to
21st Century Skills in the U.S. (see science browse results at [3] and
scroll down the facets to 'mediator' and 'beneficiary' and expand).  Thus
the broad 'audience' property can be refined to reflect both the nature of
an intermediary for the resource and the nature of the ultimate beneficiary
(some kind of learner)--e.g., a resource beneficiary of hearing-impaired
students and a mediator of a librarian or a parent.

Stuart

[1]  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-audience
[2]  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-mediator
[3]  http://www.thegateway.org/search/apachesolr_search?filters=tid:139

--
Stuart A. Sutton,
CEO and Managing Director, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative