Re: Audience proposal [and LRMI, and http://schema.org/Audience]

Yes, Dan, there are collections that include use of 'mediator'.  I would
also add to Liddy's comment that when the 'audience' property [1] was added
to the DCMI dcterms namespace in 2001 and 'mediator' [2] added as a
subproperty of 'audience', a third property called 'beneficiary' was also
entertained by DCMI Usage Board but not included in the namespace.
'Beneficiary' _was_ added to the DC-based GEM schema used by the Gateway to
21st Century Skills in the U.S. (see science browse results at [3] and
scroll down the facets to 'mediator' and 'beneficiary' and expand).  Thus
the broad 'audience' property can be refined to reflect both the nature of
an intermediary for the resource and the nature of the ultimate beneficiary
(some kind of learner)--e.g., a resource beneficiary of hearing-impaired
students and a mediator of a librarian or a parent.

Stuart

[1]  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-audience
[2]  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-mediator
[3]  http://www.thegateway.org/search/apachesolr_search?filters=tid:139

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 5 July 2012, Liddy Nevile wrote:
>
>> I wonder if it is useful to offer that when we made the 'audience' term
>> for DCMI we found that we needed to know the audience but we also thought
>> of a mediator i.e. if the target audience was 3 year olds but with the help
>> of an adult who would print the page for the three year old to colour in
>> with pencils, there was the child as the audience and the adult as the
>> mediator.
>

> Interesting. Are there any datasets or consuming apps yet that make this
> distinction?

Stuart A. Sutton,
CEO and Managing Director, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
Associate Professor Emeritus, The Information School
University of Washington