Re: Proper schema.org markup of repeating / recurring events?

Hi Sean,

On 20 December 2011 16:20, Sean Carlos <sean@antezeta.com> wrote:
> I have several cases of repeating / recurring events, such as a
> monthly business networking lunch, where the only data elements which
> change from event to event are the dates.
>
> It appears to me that schema.org doesn't yet address this particular use case?
>
> The current solution appears to be to repeat each event, including the
> duplication of each data element.  I'm thinking of using the search
> engine frowned-upon <meta> tags to hide the repeated data in
> successive event dates.

Thanks for raising this. It's a fair question to ask. I have some
sympathy with Martin Hepp's view, that we may be better off
materialising multiple event descriptions, rather than assuming smart
clients. Robert Kost suggested ISO-8601 however many tools use
restricted subsets of that standard, so I'm not sure that would be a
strong candidate.

I have summarised discussion so far in our Wiki at
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/RepeatingEvents and opened an issue
tracker on this at https://www.w3.org/2011/webschema/track/issues/11
since whatever we conclude should be documented.

There is also some earlier work on representing iCalendar in RDF, see
http://www.w3.org/wiki/RdfCalendarDocumentation and
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfcal/ as well  as the fairly widely adopted
hcalendar work from the Microformats community,
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar  (I don't see the word 'repeat'
in that last link but I've not yet dug very deeply).

cheers,

Dan