Apologies for the spam (as a lousy way to introduce myself to the list)- I sent a long reply to this yesterday (with a better introduction), and did the whole "yes you can archive my email" approvals thing, and it seems to have vanished into the ether.  Testing to see if the list will let me post now before I go to the trouble of writing it all up again.

apologetically,
-henry

From: "Olson, Peter" <polson@marvel.com>
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:25 PM
Subject: Comics Schema Update and Open Questions

Comics Schema Update and Open Questions
Hi Group –
Some housekeeping – I’ve made a number of tweaks to the comics and periodicals schema based on feedback from a number of industry resources (including comics.org and a large number of digital and brick-and-mortar retailers).  I’m waiting on feedback from a number of other sources (including Diamond Comics) and I’m going to start reaching out to non-US sites and publishers. All changes to the Wiki entry are tracked in the discussion page.
There seems to be a recurring question about identifiers  that keeps coming up For example, I included the distributor code (the Diamond Comics code, which is used by US books) as one of the identifiers for comic issues and graphic novels.  I could see a role for the internal ID used by publishers the Marvel ID is used by a lot of our digital retailers as a unique identifier and I’m sure other publishers do the same.  Comics.org suggested that the schema add their local ID as an element (it’s used by a number of other sites and they have as comprehensive a list of books as anyone)
Basically, between publishers, distributors and fan sites, what is the best practice around identifiers?
What qualifies as ubiquitous enough to be included as an identifier in a schema such as this one?  Is it better to include more (with fewer actually used) or fewer (but more frequently populated)?
-       Peter
Peter Olson | VP, Web and Application Development | Marvel Entertainment
Nothing contained in this e-mail shall (a) be considered a legally binding agreement, amendment or modification of any agreement with Marvel, each of which requires a fully executed agreement to be received by Marvel or (b) be deemed approval of any product, packaging, advertising or promotion material, which may only come from Marvel's Legal Department.
THINK GREEN - SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!