Re: Comics Schema Draft (formerly Process Question)

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Olson, Peter <polson@marvel.com> wrote:

> Separating out the discussion about the schema draft from the process
> stuff so that our threads don’t become completely entwined.****
>
> ** **
>
> >> 1. & 2 ****
>
> I think it starts to lend credence to idea that the parent of Periodical
> Series should be Intangible (or something that isn’t Creative Work). Comic
> Series are just the aggregation of their respective issues – the creative
> teams, featured characters etc. tend to be variable.  I believe that this
> holds true for Periodical Series generally.

Exactly what I was thinking....an aggregation, or collection of
issues...sometimes having a full story arc and sometimes not... which is
generally how collectors themselves arrange and even "box" (HORROR! :) ) up
their favorite old issues by series... LOLOL.  But you didn't quite answer
question 2.... like, what did Jack Kirby create ?  What does Marvel say
that Jack Kirby created versus the fans, hobbyists, collectors.  Do the
creative works of him differ between insider knowledge and outsider
excitement in the comic book domain ?  The reason I ask is that popular
literature reviews, news organizations, even Encyclopedia Britannica will
tend to stick to a wording such as "...who created the X-men series.." or
something along those lines.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/319037/Jack-Kirby

Doesn't Marvel give creation credit sometimes to a single individual ?
 Those sorts of details may not be available to a fan base or anyone else
on the outside looking in.  Anyway, just something to think about Peter as
you develop the schema try to think from both sides...would a fan know this
? would they care ? or is this elitist knowledge that we within Marvel
should still present into the schema since it could help disambiguate down
the line and clear up confusion that has already occurred in the past
around issues.  Your doing great, just be careful as you go along maybe
carving out things "Marvel preferred" within the schema whenever
appropriate and footnote with more details.

--
-Thad
http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry