Proposal for an additional term: mediaType

From: Greg Grossmeier <greg@creativecommons.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:34:04 -0700
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
Cc: "Suliman, Suraiya H" <suraiya.h.suliman@lmco.com>
Hello all,

In the work surrounding the creation of LRMI, and doing real world
markup on hundreds of works (for a proof of concept project) we have run
into a need that isn't adequately addressed by the current Schema.org
specification, and has broader applicability than just learning
resources (so not appropriate to be included in the LRMI proposed
extension).

Simply, there is a need for a term that represents the notion of
mediaType. When marking up hundreds of educational resources from
publishers we have found this to be a commonly used field.

Some sample values for that field, based on our set of resources, would
be:
 - Audio CD
 - Audiotape
 - Calculator
 - CD-I
 - CD-ROM
 - Diskette
 - Duplication Master
 - DVD/ Blu-ray
 - etc

I've cc'ed here Suraiya Suliman who is working on the team that is
building a tool to mark up these hundreds of learning resources.

Best,

Greg

--
Greg Grossmeier
Education Technology & Policy Coordinator