Re: Flattening Microdata

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:40:53 +0200
To: "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>
Cc: Antonia Rosati <arosati@ucar.edu>, "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>, "Sandhaus, Evan" <sandhes@nytimes.com>, Public Vocabs <public-vocabs@w3.org>, mayernik@ucar.edu
On 9 August 2012 03:22, Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org> wrote:
> It's too bad we're guessing about this.

Ok, so what are the questions here...?

* is this legal syntax per the relevant HTML/Microdata spec?
* do the search engines tend to discourage it for trust/quality etc reasons?
* can the search engines currently parse it?
* what's the closest / best equivalent markup in RDFa 1.1?

Would someone care to get a concrete example scenario + markup into
our area of the W3C Wiki, and we can start working up an answer in a
more useful form than a giant mail thread... See
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas and nearby; anyone can get a public
W3C account for that. For the 'can they parse it' question,
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas#Tools_and_Statistics has links to
Google, Bing and Yandex parser/checker tools.

cheers,