Re: Schema.org External Enumerations mechanism

Hi Guha,

I try to reconcile the various requirements here (yeah, I know, this is my job:-).

So... let me take up your comparison with url shorteners. The question is: what is returned if I do a GET on

http://ext.schema.org/wikipedia/en/United_States

surely it should not be 404:-)

There are multiple things that could be done, which may be helpful. Eg, if content negotiations is used, and the request is for an HTML page, one could imagine this is redirected to the wikipedia page. If the content negotiation leads to some RDF serialization, I could imagine that this would return a small RDF, saying something like

<http://ext.schema.org/wikipedia/en/United_States> owl:sameAs
  <http://dpbedia.org/resource/United_States> .

(Actually, you may also add a bunch of other sameAs here, eg, referring to the corresponding freebase entries.)

Your core constituency, ie, the webmasters, would use the ext.schema URI-s; linked data people could use the same but a follow-your-nose would then lead to others, commonly used URI-s.

Actually, this could be used for http://schema.org/Person, for example, if we want to declare them as the same as foaf:Person.

Of course, this requires some setup on the server side, which should know about the various URI schemes. But I do not think it is a major deal.

Just an idea...

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/