Re: How to describe a resource elsewhere?

Hello everyone.

Thanks Adrian, yes that helps. I was thinking of the case where the page
was the primary thing described.

Here's the example of a page describing a resource elsewhere that I have
marked up with schema.org so that both the page and the resource that
the page is about are described:
http://pjjk.net/lrmiexx/nsdl20110414163807295T.htm  Rich Snippets
testing tool output is available at http://bit.ly/HXSdgr (I've also used
some of the LRMI proposed properties, which are the ones that the
testing tool does not recognise)

I can easily see how specifying that the page and the learning resource
that the page is about have different properties (different authors,
different terms of use etc). However it is the learning resource that is
the most important item it is the description of the learning that we
want search engines to notice yet that is kind of hidden away as Item 2
in the parsed output. I guess I doubt whether a search engine would
bother to do much with any information provided by schema.org for the
thing that a page was about?

The alternative is not to mark up only the information on the page for
the resource being described. There's an example of that at
http://pjjk.net/lrmiexx/nsdl20110414163807295T_2.htm with testing tool
output at http://bit.ly/HNGk85  I guess the search engines are more
likely to act on the important information in this case because it's all
properties of the primary item, but how will they trust to a page on one
website to describe a page elsewhere?

I would be interested in knowing how the markup on either example page
aligns with current or expected practice.

Regards, Phil

--
<http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/>
Please note new email address: phil.barker@hw.ac.uk

--
Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
researchers to join us in leading and driving research
in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see

http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders

for further information and how to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.