Re: FW: Distance

From: Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:41:32 +0100
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
On 29 October 2011 18:44, Jim Rhyne <jrhyne@thematix.com> wrote:

> Copy of an email reply sent directly to Andy in response to his email
> directly to me posted by him on 29 October 2011

Thank you for posting that here.

> Are you asserting that a Google search for “hotels near Disneyworld” would
> invoke Google maps to find a route between each hotel in Orlando and compute
> the distance in order to satisfy the query?

I'm not asserting anything of the kind; though it's quite likely that
a service such as Google
will develop a facility to answer queries like "X within 10 km of Y",
or "nearest X
to Y". Knowing the locations of X and Y will be more pertinent than
assertions of the distance between them.

> That you could rely on route calculators for this particular problem does
> not address the larger issue of semantic markup of tabular data contained in
> web pages.

Semantic markup per se is a noble aim; but where is the use-case?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing