Re: Referencing consolidated information

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:45:06 +0200
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 18:05:00 +0200, LeVan,Ralph <levan@oclc.org> wrote:

> I have pages about people.  In those pages, I have information about
> books they have written.  Because all the books were written by the same
> person, I don't display the author's name redundantly.  That means that
> I can't provide an "author" property for the books.
>

> Is there a way to reference a piece of content elsewhere on the page as
> a property of an item?

Yes, have a look at itemref. There's an example called "vCard: Avenue Q"
in <http://foolip.org/microdatajs/live/> and the spec itself is at
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/microdata.html#attr-itemref>.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:25:11 +0200, Peter Sefton <ptsefton@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I also tried using <link> to link to the author on the same page, but
> that
> did not work.

<link> is much like <meta> in microdata, it's just that it takes a URL
instead of an arbitrary string.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer