Re: Need for a new type Activity

Another example:

Think of modeling car features - there are plenty and they are in constant flux. So you can

a) just use text (simple, but ambiguous)
b) define values in schema.org (authoritative, simple to find, but hard to maintain and likely disproportional to the size of schema.org as a whole),
c) define just a type for respective values and encourage the use of Web-scale identifiers from DBPedia or Freebase with this

From almost a decade of building Web vocabularies (GoodRelations, eClassOWL, VSO, COO/VVO (Volkswagen), TIO, ProdLight, FreeClassOWL, ...) I can really tell you that c) yields the best results. You can also easily combine it with b) and if you are tolerant with the Microdata spec, even with a).

So with the approach I am proposing, you could easily combine the best of all three worlds with one property and one value type:

# With locally defined value

# With DBPedia URI as a valuevalue
  <link itemprop="ingredients" href="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Oregano" /> Oregano

# With predefined schema.org value