Re: Ideas on simplification of process and operations

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:28:28 +0200, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:

> Le 7 juil. 2010 à 13:00, Lawrence Rosen a écrit :
>> Apparently, for some, the requirement to define the scope of the
>> innovation desired in the specification is itself often an impediment
>> to innovation.
> The W3C Process document has not been created in one day. It contains a
> lot of history, … more exactly stories. Often, each additional piece of
> the process has been justified by something happening, a voice from the
> community, a reproach, etc.
> Maybe the Process document could be greatly improved if it was connected
> to specific stories justifying the way it is built.

I think that actually makes a lot of sense. Some of the stories, though,
simply cannot be told in public. A descriptive document explaining why
each piece of the process is there would make sense - but who is the
historian who can find that stuff?

Q. "Why do we have CR?"
A. "So we don't do another CSS2 Rec"

Q. Why do we require a scoped charter?
A. So we get agreement to the patent policy.

cheers

Chaals