Re: Early draft of new standards proposal

On 12 Aug 2010, at 1:03 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> Hi Ian, All,
>
> I finally scanned this document:
>>    http://www.w3.org/2010/07/community
>>
> Nice work, especially the table in section 2.2.7!
>
> Below is my personal cut on the main properties of the three
> different groups/processes/objectives.
>
> I recall arguing against XGs because I thought they were effectively
> IGs + some steriods. I still think that is essentially true but if
> tweaking/revamping IGs and XGs would bring more communities in the
> W3C and eliminate various little islands with different processes,
> IP policies, etc., then that would be great.
>
> -Regards, ArtB

[snip]

Art read the document a particular way, which prompted me to call him
to chat. I clarified that the proposal amounts to:

  * A single starting point for new ideas
  * Lightweight groups for ideas with traction
  * Standards groups for those proposals requiring stability, IPR
commitments from orgs, etc.

I continue to edit and will send a ping tomorrow afternoon.

  _ Ian