Re: Things we're not doing

Let me comment on three items:

1. Privacy.
To the man on the street privacy and security may be the two biggest
problems with the Web.
OASIS is starting a TC on a privacy model.  Charter is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2009-07-30.php#formation
This is a strong model where everytime a website wants some personal
information it has
to indicate why it wants the information and request permission.  Some
feel this is too onerous and
recommend an alternate model where you indicate your privacy preferences
(what data, who can see it, how long)
and the privacy preferences are carried along with the data.  If they
are violated, there are legal recourses.

2. Identity
Anyone can get an OpenId ... I have 3!  But there is no way to verify
if, indeed, what/who I claim to be is
accurate.  This kind of Id is useful for single-sign on but it is not
verified identity.  The Social Security Office
will not accept it.  So, should we try and start an agency that that
provides verified identity?  This should be
voluntary, so there is a means to verify your identity if you choose to
provide it.  The agency should keep
track of who requests your identity.  The eGoverment folks may be
interested.  My take the fun out of online dating :-)

3. Cloud Computing
Cloud computing uses URIs to identify Cloud artifacts and uses REST
protocols but other than that there is
little connection with the Web.  The concerns in Cloud computing have to
do with managing artifacts in the
cloud and managing applications in the Cloud.  Not clear what W3C can
contribute to this.

All the best, Ashok