Re: Doing HTML the right way at W3C

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 21:36 -0400, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> We've all agreed that HTML is part of the Core mission of W3C. It ought
> to mean that we should try to do it right.
>
> I'd like to get opinions on what needs to be done to do HTML "the right
> way".
>
> Is publishing an HTML standard enough for us to declare victory? If not,
> what else should W3C ought to be doing?

People see HTML as more than just the markup, so this needs to include
other things essential to interoperability of web pages using HTML, e.g.
scripting APIs (including events), style sheets, and media formats.

Non-core, but valuable to our mission is promoting effective use of
HTML, e.g. best practices for accessibility, use of scripting and style
sheets, and online services such as validators.