Re: web identity

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 16:22 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Here's some text for a possible recommendation:
>
> > Identity systems for the Web are within W3C's scope.
>
> > The marketplace is currently fractured. W3C should investigate
>  whether, by entering into standardization work in this space, it can
>  address the current fragmentation.
>
> Anything else you wanted to say?

I suggest there is more to it than that. For example, global identifiers
help business models based around collecting information on users, but
in so doing, target people's privacy. W3C should aim to broaden the
discussion of web identity to balance the interests of all concerned
including end-users, businesses and governments. This motivates
consideration of the role of anonymous and partial identities together
with credentials and trust relationships.

Discussions of biometrics have been taking place within the Voice
Browser WG, but as far as I know have yet to make it into discussions of
visual browsers. The mobile world is continuing to explore the role of
SIMs, and the Mozilla folks have explored APIs for accessing security
services in smart cards. W3C could take a valuable role to broaden the
discussion and to sound the views of all stakeholders. An in-depth and
well considered analysis is likely to reduce fragmentation in the long
run.