Re: PROPOSAL: Incorporate the Veres One Non-Profit Foundation

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for your good questions. See replies inline.

On 7/6/2018 12:19 PM, dorothyg wrote:
> Dear Veres One Community,
>
> Thank you Adam for involving us in this decision.
> A few questions 1) The reason given for targeting Switzerland is that
> it is perceived as neutral, the disadvantage is that it is expensive.
> The perception of neutrality depends on your target audience. Are
> there possible locations we could look at outside of Europe or the
> USA?  Would Canada be an option for example?
Agreed that the perception of neutrality depends on the target audience.
Since we're aiming to be a Global Utility for decentralized identifiers
our conclusion was that Switzerland would be the least problematic for
the greatest number of participants around the globe. We want to avoid
being US-centric and depending on which way the winds of geopolitics
blow Canada may or may not be strongly associated with the US. Absolute
neutrality is essentially impossible but I think we can agree that
maximum neutrality is the goal. The other nations we have identified as
decent options were all in Europe, with Switzerland leading by far.
Perhaps this is a mistake. I think any nation is an option as long as it:

 1. Is globally viewed as a neutral country
 2. Will allow the Veres One model to acquire non-profit status
 3. Does not present high risk as it relates to regulation or political
    stability

> 2) Nowadays for most countries registering as a not-for-profit
> necessitates some representation of nationals of that country on the
> board. Can you tell us more about this from the Swiss perspective?
> Perhaps a little chart listing out positives and negatives could help
> us research alternatives? Or send us a link so we can read through for
> ourselves.
It is ideal to have a Swiss Board member when incorporating a nonprofit
Foundation in Switzerland but there is something called "domiciliary
services" that Foundations can pay law firms for to satisfy the
domiciliary requirement.   This is part of the operating expenses
described in the original email. Please see above list for requirements
for prospective nations to incorporate in. I encourage everyone to add
to that list if they have additional requirements

> 3) Registering a not-for-profit should be simple. I see boasts of how
> it takes less than 3 days to register a for-profit company. Can you
> tell me what makes it necessary to get help on this? Would Estonia be
> an option? I know they allow nationals of other countries to register
> for-profit companies once you have linked up with a local firm for
> accounting purposes etc.
Registering as a nonprofit in Switzerland is not simple, I wish it were.
The 65K startup costs mentioned include ~15K in legal and incorporation
fees--the other 50K is a capital requirement to open a bank account.
Estonia is an option. Our perception was that when people think
"nonprofit global public utility" that Estonia is probably not the first
place they think of. We thought it would be an edgy decision to
incorporate in Estonia. We're not trying to be edgy we're trying to be
boring and consistent. However, Estonia is innovative when it comes to
digital government services. There may be a lot of synergies between
Veres One and the Estonian government. It also appears to be a simple
<https://www.estoniancompanyregistration.com/nonprofit-organisation-registration-in-estonia/>
and cost effective option.  Perhaps we should consider revising the
proposal to Incorporating in the US and then migrating the Foundation to
Switzerland. Or maybe Estonia is viewed globally as neutral. It would be
great to hear other perspectives on this.

> 4) The only issue I have with registering in the US, is the love of
> litigation and associated costs. Also the policy environment seems a
> little erratic at the moment but this could be a transitory phase. You
> probably have a better feel for this than I do.  I will contact my
> third sector network and ask the simple question which is the best
> country in the world to register an international not-for-profit. If I
> get any useful responses I will pass them on.
While I share your perspective of the policy environment being erratic I
have a high degree of confidence that it won't affect the Foundation. I
hope you found the replies sufficient enough to reach out to your
network with the question of where best to incorporate an international
nonprofit that will oversee a global internet utility. We want as much
quality input as we can get on this important decision.

> Hope this helps
> Dorothy
Yes, thank you very much for your engagement and great questions.

Adam

--
Adam Lake
Director, Business Development