Re: Revocation entry

Many already know this, so this comment may be partly redundant--but for
those who are unaware, I'll just make a note about Sovrin and Hyperledger
Indy's approach to this problem.

We were concerned that most revocation mechanisms destroy privacy, because
they involve looking up revocation status in a centralized location with a
consistent lookup key. Alice has to disclose the revocation lookup key with
each credential use, providing a perfect correlator. Anybody monitoring
such lookups can see every time Alice uses her credential, and which
verifier has to check non-revocation as a result.

Sovrin therefore implemented an approach that uses cryptographic
accumulators instead. This allows Alice to prove in zero knowledge that the
credential she's using has not been revoked, without disclosing any kind of
revocation lookup key for herself. (She does, however, disclose where the
issuer's revocation commitment is published on the ledger. All holders of
credentials from the same issuer disclose the same value for that, so this
had a herd privacy profile.) The particulars of this mechanism are
described here
<https://github.com/hyperledger/indy-hipe/tree/master/text/0011-cred-revocation>
.

This method works fine, and is being used in production. However, it is
"heavy" in the sense that it requires more setup from issuers, and it means
provers have to download some auxiliary data files to prove non-revocation,
if their credentials have revocation features. So Sovrin is now in the
process of switching to a more elegant approach that uses merkle trees
(with a root hash on the ledger) instead of cryptographic accumulators.
This will make the burden on issuers and provers much lighter.