Re: [sysinfo] draft ready for review

On 23/12/2009 18:38, JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although I understand your position I would like to have some
> mechanism to ensure there are no inconsistencies between the ontology
> and the API.

I agree. I've started looking at DCO & Bondi to try and make things as
consistent as possible. Some things are easy, like agreeing that Battery
level is percents and not [0,1]. Some things are harder, like what's the
unit of CPU frequency in DCO, where's the definition of BatteryLevel in
Bondi. Some things seem definitely incompatible, like DAP's notion of
addressing individual hardware units by Id. I'll send something more
exhaustive some time next week.

> What about having some kind of automatic generation of API properties
> from a branch in the ontology? Ensuring, for example, that the name,
> data type and description (precise semantics) of the properties in
> the API should be the same as the name of the properties in the
> ontology.

I'm not sure how that would work. Would you be able to elaborate?

> However there is an issue as the ontology has not created a property
> for everything, as there are some properties which can apply to
> multiple entities, for example 'vendor', 'model' or 'version' can
> apply to multiple entities, CPU, Battery, Camera, whatever.
>
> Also if this mechanism is sufficiently documented will allow third
> parties to extend the API taking as input other properties present in
> the ontology.
>
> By the way, the ontology does not include all the CPU properties you
> are considering. They will be added for the next version. I think
> your API specification can indeed provide a very good input for the
> ontology.

Thanks! I'm happy to provide feedback.

Cheers,
Max.